Why become a PHANZA member?
PHANZA members are part of a nationwide community of historians working independently and for all types of organisations, including: government departments, statutory authorities, historical societies, heritage groups, universities, museums, archives, research organisations, claimant groups, libraries, research organisations and private companies.
- have an online presence in the form of their customisable profile page on the PHANZA website [phanza.org.nz]
- can promote their work through their profile page, our newsletter, Phanzine, and our social media channels
- have the opportunity to network with other professional historians and associations throughout Australasia
- get regular emails and a newsletter providing industry updates and articles of historical interest
- can access professional development opportunities through seminars and publications
- can get advice on employment opportunities, contract employment and payment for professional historians
- are invited to participate in our social events.
How to join
We encourage you to apply to become a PHANZA member if you fulfill the following criteria:
- a research-based post-graduate tertiary degree (honours, MA or PhD or similar) in history or a related discipline from a recognised tertiary institution;
- or (at the discretion of the committee) those who meet any two of the following three criterion:
- a bachelor’s degree from a recognised tertiary institution;
- historical research experience;
- significant publication(s).
A Student Membership shall be open to a post-graduate student while enrolled in a New Zealand-based university history course and for two years thereafter. Student Members are exempt from paying membership fees.
Fill in the form below to apply to join PHANZA. If you are a previous member and would like to rejoin, contact the Secretary: email@example.com.
Annual membership fees are $60 waged and $30 unwaged.
If you have any questions about membership you can contact the Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org.