Why become a PHANZA member?
PHANZA members are part of a nationwide community of historians working independently and for all types of organisations, including: government departments, statutory authorities, historical societies, heritage groups, universities, museums, archives, research organisations, claimant groups, libraries, research organisations and private companies.
- have an online presence in the form of their customisable profile page on the PHANZA website [phanza.org.nz]
- can promote their work through their profile page, our newsletter, Phanzine, and our social media channels
- have the opportunity to network with other professional historians and associations throughout Australasia
- get regular emails and a newsletter providing industry updates and articles of historical interest
- can access professional development opportunities through seminars and publications
- can get advice on employment opportunities, contract employment and payment for professional historians
- are invited to participate in our social events.
How to join
We encourage you to apply to become a PHANZA member if you fulfill the following criteria:
- a research-based post-graduate tertiary degree (honours, MA or PhD or similar) in history or a related discipline from a recognised tertiary institution;
- or (at the discretion of the committee) those who meet any two of the following three criterion:
- a bachelor’s degree from a recognised tertiary institution;
- historical research experience;
- significant publication(s).
A Student Membership shall be open to a post-graduate student while enrolled in a New Zealand-based university history course and for two years thereafter. Student Members are exempt from paying membership fees.
Fill in the form below to apply to join PHANZA. Annual membership fees are $60 waged and $30 unwaged.
If you have any questions about membership you can contact the Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org.