Mātanga Taonga Tuku Iho Māori
Te Ao Mārama: Tauranga City Libraries – Heritage and Research
Kei aku manu taki, kei aku manu tāiko huri noa i te moana o Tauranga paku kore, ka karanga atu a Te Ao Mārama Tauranga City Libraries i tētahi tangata ngākaunui mō te tiaki taonga Māori, te rangahau kāwai whakapapa me ngā tātai kōrero tuku iho.
Mēnā he tangata e tino kaha ana ki te whakapakari i ngā mātauranga me ngā mōhiotanga o ngā tangata, tono mai. Nō reira, kaua e tatari ana, tukua mai to potae ki roto i te rīngi nei!
About the role
As the Mātanga Taonga Tuku Iho Māori, you’ll be responsible for the management and promotion of the taonga Māori collections in the Tauranga City Libraries Archives and the Māori research resources in the reference collection. Reporting to the Team Leader: Heritage & Research, this is a full-time position, working 40 hours per week between Monday and Friday with occasional weekend work, however this is flexible for the right person.
Your tasks will include the following:
- Take a leading role in the use of te reo Māori and tikanga Māori in the Heritage and Research team and around the collections.
- Manage the accession, cataloguing, preservation, digitisation, and public access of taonga Māori in the archives.
- Advocate for, and promote the archive collections to the community.
- With sound knowledge and understanding of the Māori research resources and databases in the reference collection, assist Māori with their research projects.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- A university degree within a relevant field (or similar experience).
- A high degree of competency in Te Reo Māori, and a working understanding of tikanga Māori as recognised by mana whenua of Tauranga Moana.
- Strong communication skills, and an ability to successfully communicate with a wide variety of people in a culturally sensitive and professional manner.
- Experience in developing and maintaining marae, hapū, iwi, community, and stakeholder relationships.
- Knowledge of libraries as a community hub, archives, and ability to promote this philosophy.
About Tauranga City Council
Tauranga City Council are committed to Te Tiriti o Waitangi and have made significant positive change with relationships with tangata whenua. Tauranga City Council is one of cities largest employers, and we are always looking to attract great talent to join our driven, passionate, and community-focused team. To highlight that our people are our greatest asset, we offer a wide range of benefits that include 5 weeks annual leave, career development as well as an active social club. We always strive to ensure that you feel valued and supported in the workplace.
How to apply:
If you want to be part of an energetic, fun, and supportive team, then we’d love to hear from you. For more information, please contact Joanna Thomas at email@example.com. Please note that applications via email will not be accepted.
More information and how to apply can be found here.
Applications close 12:00pm Thursday 16 March 2023