Te Arawhiti are on the look-out for talented and enthusiastic analysts. Now is a great time to join te Kāhui Takutai Moana.
There are a number of permanent roles available for Historians and Senior Historians.
- Bring your skills to Te Arawhiti and learn new ones
- Be part of new mahi and developing a new approach to Māori Crown engagement
- A fantastic opportunity to develop your Māori Crown experience
Ko tā te Te Arawhiti -The Office for Māori Crown Relations – he poipoi i te whanaungatanga, he whakapūmau hoki i te noho pai o te iwi Māori me te Kāwanatanga. Hei tohu tō mātou ingoa mō te arawhata i waenga i te ao Māori me te Karauna, ngā rā kua huri ki tua, ngā rā kei mua o te aroaro, te ahunga mai i ngā nawe tawhito, ki te mahi kōtui.
Ko te kaupapa o Te Arawhiti he mahi kia piki te tū o te Karauna hei hoa kōtui Tiriti, – kia tautuhi anō, kia whāngai, kia waihanga i te piringa o te iwi Māori raua ko te Karauna, kia kīa ai he kōtuitanga hoa Tiriti tūturu.
The Office for Māori Crown Relations – Te Arawhiti is dedicated to fostering strong, ongoing and effective relationships with Māori across Government. The name symbolises the bridge between Māori and the Crown, the past and the future, and the journey from grievance to partnership.
Te Arawhiti’s kaupapa is to make the Crown a better Treaty partner – to re-set, sustain, and build the Māori Crown relationship towards true Treaty partnership.
Te whiwhinga mahi/The Opportunity
If you’re a team player who would like to see the results of your work first-hand, Te Arawhiti, based in Wellington, invites you to apply for our vacancies for Historians and Senior Historian in Te Kāhui Takutai Moana.
In Te Kāhui Takutai Moana you will be preparing historical research relevant to the recognition of customary marine title and protected customary rights under te Takutai Moana Act 2011. This requires working as part of the wider kāhui to support the Takutai Moana Crown engagement strategy and preparing and assessing historical evidence for High Court proceedings under the Act.
The team of historians supports the Minister for Treaty of Waitangi Negotiations, who is also the responsible Minister under te Takutai Moana Act, and works with a range of government departments, contributes to Waitangi Tribunal inquiries and advises the wider office on a range of historical issues. You will be part of a close and collaborative team of historians, have oversight of the work your colleagues are undertaking, and develop your coaching and leadership skills by contributing to the broader capability of the team.
He pūkenga tou/Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will:
- preferably have a master’s degree in New Zealand history or an associated discipline, or have equivalent research-based professional experience.
- have well-developed historical research skills, knowledge of Māori history, archaeology and archival institutions,
- have an understanding of government structures and process and awareness of tikanga Māori and te ao Māori.
- demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills, engage skilfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups, and build constructive relationships.
- be an effective communicator and develop your leadership skills by mentoring staff and contributing to the broader capability of the office.
Candidates at the level of Senior Historian will be able to demonstrate experience of mentoring and supporting colleagues in the field of historical research and of training others in the use of research applications. For roles in Te Kāhui Takutai Moana, understanding and experience of the use of GIS tools in historical research would be an advantage as would the ability to demonstrate sound understanding of te Takutai Moana Act 2011 as it relates to the requirements for historical research.
It’s fascinating, fast-paced work, so if you’re adaptable and results-driven then Te Arawhiti is the place for you.
- Senior Historian: The appointing salary for this role will be between $103,540 and $146,174 based on skills and experience
- Historians: The appointing salary for this role will be between $77,128 and $108,887 based on skills and experience
More information and how to apply can be found here.